Alright this is my first meme and therefor the first time I’ve ever been tagged to do one…at least that I’m aware of. Chartoose is who tagged me over at Bloody Hell, It’s a Book Barrage! This is a new site I came across this week, I think I found it via Weekly Geeks. I don’t know how long chartroose has been out skulking around on That’s the Book! but I’ve been tagged anyway. So without further adieu here are six random things about me:
- Since this is a book blog I think my first little tid bit will be about books. The first novel I read was The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I don’t exactly remember when I picked up this book but once I did it didn’t take me long to devour it. If I had to guess when I read this I would say it mid to late elementary school. Tolkien created such a wonderful world it wasn’t difficult to fall in love with it. Once I got to University a course was being offered my final year that I just could pass up – Tolkien and medieval Literature, what book fiend wouldn’t jump at a chance to take this course?
- I have been plagued since middle school with nickname Gumby! Now the story is quite embarrassing and is a wonderful demonstration of my sporting prowess. I was playing intramural volleyball at lunch time. I don’t recall why the guy was packed that particular, it may have been finals and everyone came to watch, but that wouldn’t explain why I was playing. Anyway, I noticed the ball come hurtling toward me and I bumped the ball. After giving it a good whack I was quite proud of myself, and thought it was going to be launched over the next only to be volleyed back to me so I could miss on the second go around. Alas, that is not what happened. I did bump the ball and sent it hurtling through the door! Now, this may not seem all that bizarre except for the fact that the door was directly BEHIND me! Once the ball made it out the door someone in the stands yelled out, “Way to go Gumby!” And that name has been with me since. I’m sure there are still people I went to school with that have no clue what my real name is.
- I’m also a huge fan, a little scary at times, of theatre. In particular I love musical theatre. I don’t know why this is because my parents never took me to shows while I grew up, the only thing we did see as a family was “Anne of Green Gables the Musical” in PEI on our trip there. But I did get to see a lot of theatre through school. I grew up in Stratford Ontario home of the Stratford Shakespearian Festival and was introduced to the Bard in grade 5 (I think). Every year, until High school, my class would study a play by Bill that was being produced at the Festival and after studying it we would attend a performance. It was a wonderful experience and I have always loved the theatre. I did a lot of theatre in High School and some in University and have been involved in a lot of community theatre. Once it gets in your blood I think it’s there to stay.
- My hero is Stephen Lewis. I wrote a lengthy post on him at my old host site. Rather than going on here is a link to the old post. I personal think it’s the best post I wrote to date.
- I’ll reserve these last two points for my two dreams. The first is to travel extensively in Africa. I really don’t know what it is about that continent but I really want to travel there, specifically the northern countries. I want to go to Rwanda, Sudan, Egypt, and Ethiopia. I’ve been drawn to this area even more, and I didn’t think that was possible, since I read What is the What by Dave Eggers. I loved that book and I’ve picked up a few more books recently about the dark continent that I’m really looking forward to; The Key to My Neighbor’s House: Seeking Justice in Bosnia and Rwanda by Elizabeth Neuffer and A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah (which I’m reading for the Orbis Terrarum Challenge).
- I want to own and operate an independently owned new and used bookstore. I’d like for it to be a place that feels like home. A place to get a cup of tea or glass of wine and find your favorite book. A cozy place to do your book hunting and relax, a place to get away from everyday.
There are six random things about me! So I guess now I have to select six other people to do this as well. So, here you go:
- Trish from Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin’?
- Susan from Naked Without Books
- Amber from Our Little Brown Blog
- Matt from same as above
- John from The Book Mine Set
- Melody from Melody’s Reading Corner
Here are the rules:
- Link to the person that tagged you (hello, it’s me)
- Post the rules somewhere in your meme
- Write the six random things
- Tag six people in your post
- Let the tagees know they’ve been chosen by leaving a comment on their blog
- Let the tagger (hello, it’s me) know your entry is posted