I thought this would be a lot of fun. There are a number of things I’d like to do to my blog better. As a result I thought it would be a good to participate in the 2009 Blog Improvement Project. And since I saw what this weeks project was I knew I needed to participate.
So here’s the down and low for this weeks project:
There’s one thing about comments I’ve never been good at — finding ways to go back to posts and threads I’m interested in to continue a conversation with that blogger. So, the first part of this week’s task is to answer a few questions in the comments section of this post:
- Do you keep track of the comments you leave on other blogs? How do you keep track? Do you think this is working? (If you’ve answered these somewhere else already, sorry for the repeat!)
The second part of the task is to start leaving better comments. Here’s what we’re going to do:
- Take a tally of where your comments are today. Compare this number to the total you took at the beginning of BIP #7. I just realized this might be totally skewed because of the Read-a-Thon, but we’ll just try and deal with messy data 🙂
- Read article about leaving quality comments and do some online searching for other useful articles. Link to those articles on your blog or in the comments here. Think about how you might implement some of these ideas.
- Set some goals about leaving better comments, then implement those goals by leaving as many high-quality comments as you can.
- At the end of the next two weeks, task stock of how your comments have changed — has our focus on comments this month gotten you more visitors and good comments on your blog?
I’ve been thinking I need to become more active in the blog world and leave comments. But I also want to leave comments that are worth while. Yes, I know that we all love to get comments about how amazing we are but it is my hope to leave comments that are more substantial.
Since this is my first time being involved with the Blog Improvement Project it’s difficult to do some of the other aspects of this project right now. But I think I’ll be heading out and being more conscious of the comments I make. I enjoyed making a comment on the blogs of the participants of the read-a-thon this weekend.
I also don’t keep track of the comments I make very often. I do when I think there will some good discussion. How about you? Do you keep track of the comments you make? What kind of comments do you make?
2 thoughts on “2009 Blog Improvement Project”
I mostly make book recommendation comments or participate in bookish discussions on blogs. If I’m really interested in a thread I’ll either star it in Google Reader or bookmark it.
pussreboots: Yeah, that tends to be the extent of my involvement too.